Join the Strand Book Store’s team as we serve Greenwich Village as a community bookstore with over 2.5 million used, new, and rare books housed within our four floors, a wide array of bookish gifts and goods, and fun literary events held almost every night of the week. We’re looking for exceptional book lovers with great customer-service skills, a desire to work with Strand’s visitors and guests, and and a preference for working amongst 18 miles of books.
Throughout the year, a variety of entry-level and professional career opportunities may become available. The Strand is committed to fostering a collaborative and respectful work environment with a staff as diverse as the 2.5 million books housed within our walls and the visitors who engage them.
Please note: the Strand receives many inquiries about employment. Unfortunately, we are not able to respond to all of them. If your skills and qualifications match our needs, we will contact you for an interview.
Current Openings:General Applications
Strand Book Store is always accepting applications for employment. Prospective employees must be at least 18 years of age and able to work full-time. General applications for staff positions must be submitted in person cannot be sent electronically.
Applications are available in our store offices on the third floor of our main location (828 Broadway, corner of 12 Street). Office hours are Monday through Friday, 9:15 AM to 5 PM.
Entry-level positions are available on a regular basis; previous book selling experience or a literary background is preferred.
Iconic Manhattan retail institution Strand Bookstore is seeking qualified candidates for a sales floor based management role. Candidates should be comfortable in a fast paced, customer-focused, multi-level retail environment.
Successful candidates will possess:
- Minimum of 2-3 years of management experience in a high volume retail environment
- Proven success in managing and motivating staff
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong skills in retail technology and unflinching attention to detail
- Flexibility and adaptability; ability to maintain positive, constructive attitude in all circumstances
- Prior retail experience REQUIRED, bookstore experience preferred. Describe your bookstore experience in your cover email or letter.*
- College degree (preferred)