Careers at The Strand
Strand Book Store is always accepting applications for employment. Prospective employees must be at least 18 years of age and able to work full-time. Applications for staff positions must be submitted in person and can not be sent electronically. Applications are available in our store offices on the third floor of our main location (828 Broadway, corner of 12th Street). Office hours are Monday through Friday, 9:15am to 5pm. Entry-level positions are available on a regular basis; previous book selling experience or a literary background is preferable.
Events/Marketing Internship, Fall 2014
Strand Book Store, New York's largest independent bookstore, is seeking an outgoing, detail-oriented college student for an unpaid fall internship. You would be working alongside our Events Director and Marketing Manager, with duties including:
- Assist with set-up and execution of regular author events.
- Create and maintain media contact list—for events, sales, store publicity.
- Help submit information about events, sales, merchandise to press.
- Edit event video footage and upload onto Strand’s Youtube page.
- Participate in meetings to discuss development of new marketing plans.
- Work with merchandise and displays in-store
This is an unpaid internship with a small weekly stipend, but it will afford a unique opportunity to learn about the book business, meet authors, artists and publicists in publishing, and gain experience in events planning and retail marketing. We require a 12-week commitment. Your weekly schedule would be negotiable, but you must be available for the 2+ events held each week in the evening at the store and up to 20 hours per week. All applicants must be enrolled in college.
If you are interested, please send an email with your resume (include your current major) and one or two paragraphs about why you want the position to Carson Moss at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bookstore Department Manager – The Strand Bookstore
The Strand Bookstore (www.strandbooks.com), an independent, family-owned bookstore in Union Square, is seeking candidates for multiple Department Manager roles within the store.
Successful candidates will possess:
- Minimum of 2-3 years of management experience in a retail store environment and must have had proven success in managing and motivating staff.
- Prior experience working in a bookstore (REQUIRED) **Describe your bookstore experience in your cover email or letter.**
- Strong skills in retail technology
- Flexibility and adaptability; ability to maintain positive, constructive attitude in all circumstances
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills
- College degree (preferred)
Some evening and weekend shifts are required (Store hours are M-Sat 9:30am-10:30pm and Sunday 11:00am-10:30pm.)
* Salary expectations must be included with your response.
**Resumes for the management positions listed below must be submitted to email@example.com. The Strand will not accept phone calls or resumes at the store. Salary expectations must be included in your cover email or letter. **