Join the Strand Book Store’s team as we serve Greenwich Village as a community bookstore with over 2.5 million used, new, and rare books housed within our four floors, a wide array of bookish gifts and goods, and fun literary events held almost every night of the week. We’re looking for exceptional book lovers with great customer-service skills, a desire to work with Strand’s visitors and guests, and and a preference for working amongst 18 miles of books.
Throughout the year, a variety of entry-level and professional career opportunities may become available. The Strand is committed to fostering a collaborative and respectful work environment with a staff as diverse as the 2.5 million books housed within our walls and the visitors who engage them.
Please note: the Strand receives many inquiries about employment. Unfortunately, we are not able to respond to all of them. If your skills and qualifications match our needs, we will contact you for an interview.
Current Openings:General Applications
Bookstore Department Manager
Store Detective/Retail Loss Prevention
Strand Book Store is always accepting applications for employment. Prospective employees must be at least 18 years of age and able to work full-time. General applications for staff positions must be submitted in person cannot be sent electronically.
Applications are available in our store offices on the third floor of our main location (828 Broadway, corner of 12 Street). Office hours are Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM.
Entry-level positions are available on a regular basis; previous book selling experience or a literary background is preferred.
Bookstore Department Manager – The Strand Bookstore
Iconic Manhattan retail institution Strand Bookstore, is seeking qualified candidates for a sales floor based management role. Candidates should be comfortable in a fast paced, customer-focused, multi-level retail environment.
Successful candidates will possess:
- Minimum of 2-3 years of management experience in a high volume retail environment
- Proven success in managing and motivating staff
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong skills in retail technology and unflinching attention to detail
- Background in Art and/ or Photography preferred
- Flexibility and adaptability; ability to maintain positive, constructive attitude in all circumstances
- Prior retail experience REQUIRED, bookstore experience preferred. Describe your bookstore experience in your cover email or letter.*
- College degree (preferred)
Salary expectations must be included with your response.
Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
*Only resumes submitted through this posting will be considered. We will not accept phone calls or resumes in regard to these roles at the store.
Store Detective/Retail Loss Prevention
Iconic Manhattan retail institution Strand Bookstore is looking to expand our Loss Prevention program. The qualified candidate will report to the General Manager and work in conjunction with uniformed security, with the goal of building and managing a small internal undercover LP team to raise storewide Loss Prevention awareness and reduce external and internal shrink. Qualified candidates should be comfortable in a fast paced, customer-focused, multi-level retail environment.
The Strand offers competitive benefits including paid time off, an employee discount, optional participation in medical, dental & vision coverage, life insurance, long term disability, and 401(k)
- Identify, observe and apprehend individual(s) who commit theft by shoplifting
- Conduct surveillance to detect loss within a store environment.
- Take an active role in identifying all forms of loss, and make recommendations to reduce loss
- Participate in the training of new hire booksellers to address the areas of Loss Prevention.
- Represent the company to law enforcement and to courts during the prosecution of shoplifters
- Work in partnership with department managers to reduce shrink
- Identify and address any issues with the security officers on site, ensuring that they are meeting expectations
- Applicant should be independent, outgoing and detail oriented.
- Possess strong written and verbal skills in order to communicate internally as well as prepare case paperwork and testify in court as a representative of the Strand
- Must have knowledge of state laws and statutes as related to the crime of shoplifting and apprehensions
- Experience operating and monitoring CCTV systems
- Retail experience required, LP or a Criminal Justice experience background is a plus
- High school diploma required, college degree preferred
- Ability to work 40 hours per week; shifts will include some nights and weekends