Careers at The Strand
Strand Book Store is always accepting applications for employment. Prospective employees must be at least 18 years of age and able to work full-time. Applications for staff positions must be submitted in person and can not be sent electronically. Applications are available in our store offices on the third floor of our main location (828 Broadway, corner of 12th Street). Office hours are Monday through Friday, 9:15am to 5pm. Entry-level positions are available on a regular basis; previous book selling experience or a literary background is preferable.
Bookstore Department Manager – The Strand Bookstore
The Strand Bookstore (www.strandbooks.com), an independent, family-owned bookstore in Union Square, is seeking candidates for multiple Department Manager roles within the store.
Successful candidates will possess:
- Minimum of 2-3 years of management experience in a retail store environment and must have had proven success in managing and motivating staff.
- Prior experience working in a bookstore (REQUIRED) **Describe your bookstore experience in your cover email or letter.**
- Strong skills in retail technology
- Flexibility and adaptability; ability to maintain positive, constructive attitude in all circumstances
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills
- College degree (preferred)
Some evening and weekend shifts are required (Store hours are M-Sat 9:30am-10:30pm and Sunday 11:00am-10:30pm.)
* Salary expectations must be included with your response.
**Resumes for the management positions listed below must be submitted to email@example.com. The Strand will not accept phone calls or resumes at the store. Salary expectations must be included in your cover email or letter. **
Strand's Marketing Manager sits at the midst of the design, events, merchandising and website teams. As such, the role requires superior analytical and communications skills and an understanding of the ever-changing book and publishing industries. The Marketing Manager is responsible for overseeing all traditional marketing channels (social, email, partner) as well as public relations, advertising, and business development opportunities. This person is also responsible for maintaining our brand and presence in the community, industry and online, as well as growing it.
- Seek out and manage business development partnerships with retailers and brands to grow our audience and drive sales.
- Create and manage all email marketing campaigns.
- Manage all social media channels and plan creative content for each - determine brand messaging, promotions, contests.
- Oversee and allocate co-op advertising budget with publishers.
- Work closely with design, merchandising, events, web, and external partners to enhance the in-store customer and online shopper experience.
- Ability to act as company spokesperson with consumer and business press when appropriate.
- Analytical: driven by data as well as by research and customer feedback.
- Comfortable with Excel and Google Analytics at a minimum.
- Proactive and resilient.
- Strong written and oral communications skills.
- Great interpersonal skills.
- Unafraid of unknowns and challenges.
- Working knowledge of HTML and CSS is ideal.
- Experience and ease with public relations.
- 2-3 years of work experience in a marketing capacity is strongly preferred.