Join the Strand Book Store’s team as we serve Greenwich Village as a community bookstore with over 2.5 million used, new, and rare books housed within our four floors, a wide array of bookish gifts and goods, and fun literary events held almost every night of the week. We’re looking for exceptional book lovers with great customer-service skills, a desire to work with Strand’s visitors and guests, and a preference for working amongst 18 miles of books.
Throughout the year, a variety of entry-level and professional career opportunities may become available. The Strand is committed to fostering a collaborative and respectful work environment with a staff as diverse as the 2.5 million books housed within our walls and the visitors who engage them.
Please note: the Strand receives many inquiries about employment. Unfortunately, we are not able to respond to all of them. If your skills and qualifications match our needs, we will contact you for an interview.
Current Openings:General Applications
Strand Book Store is always accepting applications for employment. Prospective employees must be at least 18 years of age and able to work full-time. General applications for staff positions must be submitted in person cannot be sent electronically.
Applications are available in our store offices on the third floor of our main location (828 Broadway, corner of 12 Street). Office hours are Monday through Friday, 9:15 AM to 5 PM.
Entry-level positions are available on a regular basis; previous book selling experience or a literary background is preferred.
Strand bookstore is looking for full-time workers at our warehouse in Industry City, Sunset Park. Hours are 6:30am - 3:30pm. Guaranteed 40 hours/week. Must be available to work Sundays.
- Picking and transferring stock for daily replenishment to the store
- Unloading and sorting UPS shipments in a timely manner
- Accurately receiving, tagging and sorting items into warehouse stock
- Loading and unloading daily replenishment on/off the truck
- Must be capable of lifting boxes of 40+ lbs
- Detail oriented and able to consistently work with speed and accuracy
- Able to keep the stock (both books and merchandise) well organized while picking items for transport
- Clean driver's license and willingness to drive a plus