Old Brooklyn

By Historical Society of Old Brooklyn
Old Brooklyn

Details

Authors: Historical Society of Old Brooklyn
Format: Hardcover
GTIN13: 9781531669515
ISBN10: 1531669514
Page Count: 130
Dimensions: 6.69x0.38x9.61
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing Library Editions

Description

Old Brooklyn was originally settled in 1814 as the hamlet of Brighton. Indian trails were the basis for what became Pearl, Broadview, and Schaaf Roads. Brighton Village, centered around what is now the intersection of Pearl and Broadview Roads, was incorporated for one year in 1838. Brighton was originally laid out on land belonging to a farmer named Warren Young. Another incorporation in 1889 renamed the village South Brooklyn, and it was then annexed by the City of Cleveland in 1905 because of its light plant. Gustave Ruetenik & Sons introduced greenhouse gardening on Schaaf Road in 1887, giving the area the title "Greenhouse Capital of the United States." Old Brooklyn also became home to the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo in 1916.
Loading...